RACI 2021 Mentoring Program
Applications are now open for the 2021 Mentoring Program which runs for the 2021 calendar year. Applications have been extended and now close on 31 October 2020.
Want to benefit from the advice and guidance of a highly experienced mentor?
Our Mentoring Program offers students and early career chemists a wonderful opportunity to gain unique knowledge and insights from industry experts, and develop their careers. The response from mentors and mentees is overwhelmingly positive to the program, with both benefiting from the experience. This is reflected in the fact that in the last few years, 80% of our students have found a job within one month of graduation.
We take both undergraduate and postgraduate students (preferably in their penultimate year of study at the time of application) from a wide range of disciplines: from chemistry majors to forensics, nanomaterials, medicinal and biochemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, physical chemistry and more. For the first time, we are also offering mentoring opportunities to early career chemists as well.
Applications for the 2021 program are invited from students and early career chemists across Australia.
The RACI has up to 80 spaces available nationally in the 2021 Mentoring Program for students and early career chemists keen to develop industrial / commercial, research or government careers (academic career paths are already very well catered to). The program involves:
- Regular guidance and support (every few weeks), typically via calls and occasional casual meetings.
- Support in developing professional networks, as example through facilitated networking (the mentor generally introducing the mentees to RACI contacts and helping involve the young scientists in conversations at RACI events).
- Career support & advice.
- Advice and support throughout the process of finding a job.
Watch the 2021 Mentoring Program video to find out more.
Mentoring is very much a two-way process. To be of full value, the mentee has to be an active participant. As guidance, the ideal mentee will:
- Be energetic and enthusiastic
- Be more oriented to an industrial / commercial or government career rather than academia
- Actively participate in the mentoring process (approx. 2-3 hours per month)
- Participate in occasional networking events
This program is open to all RACI members and student members. You can be a TAFE, undergrad or postgrad student, or an Early Career Chemist in the first 3 years of your career.
The programme best suits students who will be completing their studies during 2021.
You do not need to be the top student in your class. You just need to want a good start into your career, and be willing to put in the effort to achieve that. The more you put in to the program the more you will get out of the programme.
As this mentorship is intended to assist you through to your first Australian career role (different to overseas markets), preference will be given to Australian citizens and permanent residents.
We will provide a limited number of places to international students at Australian universities, provided that it is your intention to stay in Australia and seek permanent residency after graduation.
Early Career Chemists
We will be offering mentoring support to Early Career Chemists for the first time in 2021. Obviously, this will involve a different focus – building your career, rather than finding your first job. But there are career-ready skills that can benefit everyone.
Current RACI members can volunteer to participate as a mentor.
Become a mentor
With the RACI Mentoring program now being offered nationally in 2021, we are now more in need of mentors than ever before. Please see the Mentoring page for more information and video. If you would like to express your interest in becoming a mentor, please email the Mentoring Team.
Cost of the Program
$150 for the 12 month program with your individual mentor. You will not be accepted into the program unless you are a current RACI member.
How to apply
If you would like more information on RACI Mentoring program, please see the Mentoring Program page.
- Sign in with your RACI membership details.
If you're not a RACI member, you can join now. Annual student memberships start from $25. Join now at the RACI Membership page.
Please note if you are joining as a member today, please note there is an up to 2 working day turnaround to process memberships at the moment. All applicants for the mentoring program will be given priority and we will endeavour to get back to you asap.
- Pay the mentoring program $150 fee. You will not be accepted into the program unless you are a current RACI member.
- Complete the application questionnaire
You will be sent a welcome email to the program with the link to the application questionnaire attached.
- Email a photograph of yourself, your resume and a cover letter introducing yourself and your career goals to the Mentoring team. Remember first impressions count! We will use this information to match you with your mentor.