VCE Chemistry Unit 1 and Unit 3
Investigating physical properties of diverse materials, including organic compounds and polymers, and detecting and identifying microplastics
The Victorian Chemical Education Committee of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI) proudly invites you to our next VCE Chemistry Teachers Professional Development Day.
• Update your knowledge of materials, with a focus on linking properties to their structures
• Try out some great new STEM-based laboratory investigations in the labs at RMIT.
• Obtain detailed notes on the investigations and possible extensions.
• Network with experts-in-the-field and other teachers – share resources and ideas.
• Learn about key new developments in the plastics recycling industry.
• Participate in the development of a media analysis task with Maria James.
• Gain accreditation for professional development – receive a certificate.
• Christie O’Neill, Environmental Scientist, Plastics Recycling Educator, Replas Environmental Centre
• Dr Lathe Jones, School of Science, RMIT University; Treasurer, RACI (Vic) Chemical Education Committee
• Dr David Tonkin, Eltham College; Chair-Elect, RACI (Vic) Chemical Education Committee
• Maria James, Curriculum Manager, Science, VCAA
• Vanessa Jackson-McRae, Chair; Jenny Sharwood OAM, Secretary, RACI (Vic) Chemical Education Committee; and committee members Louise Macfarlane, Alex Colussa and Sandeep Gurm
Date: Wednesday 9 June 2021
Time: 8.30 am to 4.00 pm
Venue: Building 12, Bowen Street, RMIT University City Campus
Cost: $ 150 Non-members; $ 125 RACI Members
(This includes COVID-safe catering, lab sessions, all materials and accreditation certificates.)
8.30 am – 9.15 am COVID Check-in and Registration; distribution of workshop booklets.
9.15 am – 9.45 am Welcome; Keynote Address: Christie O’Neill – Replas Environmental Centre
9.50 am – 10.15 am Morning tea and mingle.
10.15 am – 10.35 am Presentation by Dr Lathe Jones (experimental instructions for Lab Session 1)
10.40 am – 12.00 pm Lab session 1: Quantitative investigation of the melting points and hardness of diverse materials and the separation and identification of polymers using their different densities.
12.00 pm – 12.15 pm Discussion of the experimental findings and techniques, led by Dr Lathe Jones.
12.20 pm – 1.00 pm Luncheon and mingle – bring and share your ideas and helpful resources
1.00 pm – 1.20 pm Presentation by Dr David Tonkin (experimental instructions for Lab Session 2)
1.25 pm – 2.25 pm Lab session 2: Quantitative investigation of the polarity of polymers using contact angles and application of the fluorescence of Nile Red dye to identify microplastics.
2.30 pm – 2.45 pm Discussion of the experimental findings and techniques, led by Dr David Tonkin.
2.50 pm – 4.00pm Workshop on how to design a media analysis task, with Maria James
Distribution of accreditation certificates.
Numbers are strictly limited to 38 participants, so teachers are advised to book early. Bookings and payments must be made through the following link before Friday 14 May. Once the event is filled, a waiting list will be kept. Registrations cannot be accepted after this date due to COVID restrictions. No children will be permitted at the venue.
Confirmation of booking from RACI is required for attendance. A RMIT online health declaration will be required the day before the event and participants must register with both RMIT Security and the RACI QR Code on arrival.
Participants will receive further details, including what to bring on the day and a map showing where registration and the different sessions will take place, before the event.